The University of Portsmouth
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
For students starting in Sept 2016 we offer a £1,700 care leaver's bursary per year for eligible care leavers and foyer residents. All funds are subject to availability, and are based on students meeting the eligibility criteria.
We currently offer the Unite scholarship (five scholarships available per year), which comprises a free halls place for the duration of your course (selected halls only), and a cash bursary of £3,000 for living costs per year. Individuals are required to submit an application form and meet the eligibility criteria.
The education and liaison outreach team is committed to ensuring those leaving care are supported in their application to higher education, and throughout their time at university. The university works to ensure that all its aspiration-raising activities are accessible for those in care, and works closely with local universities as part of the Southern Universities' Network.
The University of Portsmouth provides all care leavers with a personal support finance adviser, who is on hand to provide support and guidance on personal funding needs.
We offer a guaranteed place in halls of residence to care leavers for three years, which includes Christmas and Easter breaks.
Course information from Unistats was last updated in February 2017