The University of Sunderland
Access to Higher Education Manager
0191 515 3802
The information on this page was last updated on 25 September 2017.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Our 'we care' scholarship offers £1,500 for each year that you progress through your course.
To be eligible, you need to meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be aged 25 or younger, and have spent 13 weeks or more in care of the local authority between your 14th and 16th birthday.
- Have been privately fostered until the age of 16.
- Have been ‘looked after’ until you were subject to a Special Guardianship Order.
There are other University of Sunderland scholarships that you might be eligible for, which include £2,000 cash, free travel, accommodation discount or a fee reduction.
You must apply for some of these online before you start your course. To see what is available please go to: www.sunderland.ac.uk/scholarships, or use our scholarship calculator to see how much support you could get: www.sunderland.ac.uk/calculator.
Our 'we care' scholarship is guaranteed for all applicants who meet the criteria. If you tick 'yes' to being a care leaver on your UCAS application form, you will automatically be sent a letter and a link to the application form for the scholarship in the first few weeks of term.
If you choose not to disclose this information on the UCAS application form, please email the University of Sunderland’s looked after young people and care leavers team to let us know that you are eligible: email@example.com.
Course information from Unistats was last updated in October 2017