Aberystwyth University

Widening Participation Co-ordinator

Widening Participation Co-ordinator
01970 622065

The information on this page was last updated on 29 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Aber Uni has had a 'named person' for care leavers since 2008, with lots of experience working with young people in this situation from years 5/6 of primary through to graduation and beyond.

Widening Participation staff focus on pre-entry, and then work closely with other colleagues for support during your time at Aberystwyth University. That means that care leavers (and other linked groups) are a priority for a number of programmes, although we don't specifically run 'care leaver' only events unless requested to do so.  Most young people seem to prefer a mix – just like the rest of the student population.

Care leavers are guaranteed 365-day accommodation for all three or four years here – this won't necessarily be in the same room the whole time though!

The welfare officer in the student union can also provide impartial advice and support. You can contact: union.advice@aber.ac.uk or 01970 621700 in the first instance, or see their webpages at: www.abersu.co.uk/advice/.

We held the Buttle UK Quality Mark (for six years) until its end; we also take a leading role in CLASS Cymru – a Welsh group of all universities and most further education colleges in Wales who share best practice and meet regularly, coordinating work across the nation.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

There is lots of support for care leavers (and others, including young carers and those who are 'estranged' or 'unsupported'), and our dedicated support team will be happy to talk to you about that, either before or during application, or on arrival at Aberystwyth.

There is an accommodation starter pack, and a care leaver 'bursary' (not related to any other funding), which you can apply for if eligible – it's a simple form that we can complete over a coffee and a chat, and also needs a letter from a social worker, youth support worker, Pathway Plan adviser, leaving care worker or whoever a care leaver has who supports them in this way. This needs to be completed by 31st October in the first year (although we can look at late applications if needed).