Anglia Ruskin University

Debbie Barker

Debbie Barker

Student Money Adviser
01245 684288

The information on this page was last updated on 4 September 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Here at Anglia Ruskin we are committed to supporting care leavers throughout their higher education experience. It is an exciting time, but we know it can be daunting, so some of the support we offer includes events and activities to help you navigate university life, help with your UCAS form, pre-entry advice, admission support, priority for accommodation for the duration of your course, money advice and access to other specialist student support.

If you need further advice or guidance, please either look on our website or contact me, Debbie Barker, at: Alternatively, you are welcome to meet with me face-to-face at the i-centre in the Marconi building on the Chelmsford campus. If I am not available you can book a specific time to come and speak to me – please ask at the desk.

Here are some more useful email addresses for our other teams:

For additional information, please find a link to the care leaver’s web page as follows:

See you soon!

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We offer a non-repayable £500 care leavers' bursary to help with accommodation costs for eligible prospective and current undergraduate students (part-time students will receive a pro-rata amount).

This can be used for help towards the initial cost of renting a room for university, i.e. the £300 upfront payment for university accommodation, or it can be saved and used during the summer vacation after your first year for help with accommodation costs, or both, up to the maximum of £500. Please email me on if you would like more information.

You are also a priority group for the learning support fund, a fund to support costs related to your study, as well as the ARU hardship fund. Both can be applied for once you start with us. More details are on the Anglia Ruskin University website at:

ARU also has the books plus scheme, which helps students with study-related costs such as textbooks and equipment. All UK and EU students studying a fee-regulated full-time undergraduate course (not sponsored by an employer), who start in the 2018/19 academic year, will receive a £400 books plus credit for each year of full-time study. (Part-time students receive a pro-rata rate).

The university also offers the following scholarships:

  • vice chancellor's scholarship
  • achievement scholarship
  • STEM scholarship
  • EU undergraduate bursary
  • ARU sport scholarship. 

Further information can be found here:

All local authorities must pay a bursary of £2,000 to help you when you go on to higher education. Please  contact your local authority to find out what support is available and in what form, as it varies between authorities. This bursary is available if you started your higher education course on or after 2008, and before your 25th birthday.

3 courses matching drama

Drama ARU - Cambridge
Drama and Film Studies ARU - Cambridge