Arts University Bournemouth

Vicky-Nenya Uzzell

Progression Officer
01202 363168

The information on this page was last updated on 25 July 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

If you are a care leaver and choose to apply to university, this can be disclosed on your UCAS application. Alternatively, you can contact the Progression Officer Vicky-Nenya Uzzell via email:, either prior to arriving or at any point during your studies, and she can then let you know what support is available to you. This information is kept confidentially and will not affect the admissions process. The Access and Participation team can also be contacted at:  Student Services are able to offer learning support, a disability and well-being service, counselling, and advice on funding and accommodation options.
Additional funding may be available to assist you on arrival at university, and throughout your studies. This may be to help with living costs, course materials, tuition fees or transport. Further information can be found on our funding pages.
A variety of accommodation options are available, and include halls of residence and privately rented flats and houses. Student services are able to advise on accommodation options that are available all year round, to ensure that you don’t have to move out at the end of each term, and can remain in the same accommodation during university holidays. There are paid work opportunities within the university, such as being a student ambassador, which could involve assisting with school events and campus tours.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

If you are under local authority care when you enrol with us, you are eligible to receive a bursary of £2,000 for each academic year of your undergraduate course.
We offer this bursary to students up to the age of 25 on entry to higher education, who have been in care for three or more months up to and including the period of GCSE/A level or equivalent study (evidence will normally be required). This bursary is in the form of a grant, is not means-tested, and will not affect your entitlement to any other financial support. This award is in addition to the other bursaries and benefits to which you may be entitled, e.g. hardship grant, university services, progression scholarship at Level 6. The bursary will be paid in three instalments each year upon a meeting with your designated care leaver contact.
The university reserves the right to claim back a proportion of this grant if you fail to complete the year, but will consider each case on its merits. The bursary for care leavers is subject to annual review, and may not be increased in line with inflation.