Askham Bryan College
Student Services Manager
The information on this page was last updated on 21 September 2021.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Here at Askham Bryan College we have our own University Centre where we provide degree level courses in the areas of Agriculture, Animal Management, Arboriculture and Forestry, Horticulture, Equine. Sport and Veterinary Nursing.
University Centre Askham Bryan is committed to supporting all students to achieve their potential and as part of this offer a specific package of support for our care experienced students.
As we want to be as inclusive as possible of the range of care settings an applicant may have encountered you would be eligible for this additional support if you have experienced:
• Living with foster carers
• Living in a residential children’s home
• Being looked after under a supervision order
• Living with friends or relatives in kinship care – either through a formal arrangement (e.g. a Special Guardianship order) or an informal arrangement without local authority support
This broader term is also inclusive of applicants with earlier or shorter experiences of care and those who do not receive ongoing support from the local authority, such as those who left care through adoption and the age limits for statutory support.
*Evidence of your time in a care setting would be required. If you wish to discuss this, please contact us.
If you meet the criteria for this additional support then we will provide you with a dedicated point of contact to support you through your time here at our University Centre.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Depending on your circumstances University Centre Askham Bryan may be able to offer you:
• £500 cash bursary
• Accommodation deposit of £300 waived if staying in onsite accommodation
• Short term interest free loan to cover your first accommodation payment which you would pay back upon receipt of your first maintenance loan instalment (if staying in onsite accommodation)
• Free travel on our College transport if commuting to campus
• If claiming Disabled Students’ Allowance, we will pay the first £100 of the equipment deposit
• Free membership to our onsite Gym
• Free entry to the Freshers Ball and discounted or free entry to all Students’ Union activities
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020