Birmingham City University

Rebecca Bow and Jim Alcock

Student Wellbeing Advisers
0121 331 7741

The information on this page was last updated on 2 September 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

At Birmingham City University, if you declare on your accommodation application that you are a care leaver, your application is prioritised.

As a care leaver, you also have the option to remain in university accommodation for the duration of your course, and can access 365-day accommodation.

Our student wellbeing adviser is able to offer you support, advice and/or information on physical, mental or emotional, social and spiritual-related issues, and is a point of contact for care leavers prior to starting university, and throughout your course.

Our student wellbeing adviser can also direct care leavers to relevant support such as professional, experienced advisers in student finance, disability/dyslexia support, visas and immigration, mental health, counselling and careers.

Birmingham City University is part of the West Midlands care leaver network, who meet regularly and share best practice on care leaver support.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At Birmingham City University we have a specialist finance adviser, who offers finance support and advice to care leavers. She can meet with you prior to you arriving, and throughout your time at university.

Enrolled students can apply to the hardship fund, with an award of up to £3,500. Students can apply at any time throughout the academic year.

The finance adviser can also support students to apply for additional funding through external trusts and charities, and support students with complex financial needs.

3 courses matching drama

English and Drama City Centre
English and Drama City Centre Part time