Blackburn College

Allison Billington

Higher Education Transitions Officer
01254 292106

The information on this page was last updated on 29 August 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Studying a higher education course can be a big decision for any young person, and we want to make sure that you have as much information and support as possible to make the decision a little easier.

Blackburn College is committed to providing the very best education and academic support for all students. We recognise that embarking on a higher education study programme is daunting, and therefore hope that the following information provides you with reassurance and confidence.

Below is a brief overview of the support that is available for you as a care leaver:

  • we work alongside local authorities (leaving care workers) to provide outstanding opportunities and access to higher education
  • a dedicated student engagement team – offering guidance and 1:1 support
  • the college provides advice and guidance to help make this transition smooth and straightforward
  • Pathway Plans – we contribute towards making sure your plan includes access to higher education
  • taster sessions and an opportunity to meet staff in the university centre
  • there is a dedicated pastoral and welfare practitioner available for looked-after young people and care leavers
  • we offer one-to-one campus visits and tour
  • study and employability workshops to develop skills for success
  • accommodation support – 365 days per year
  • careers and postgraduate support
  • personalised support through a personal tutor and individual specialist support where appropriate
  • access to a wide range of support services: including guidance, careers, counselling, welfare
  • advice and student finance
  • a disability support service. 

Speak to our dedicated transitions officer by calling 01254 292106.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

Please click this link to find out about financial support:

To speak to our transitions officer, please call 01254 292106.

2 courses matching child