Bolton College

Eileen Nicholson

Student Services Manager
01204 482180

The information on this page was last updated on 7 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Our learning development mentors (like personal tutors) and student mentors support our students with day-to-day issues, which may be related to studying at college, or personal to them e.g. issues at home. Bolton College also has an extensive learner support team to assist learners who need extra support with their learning.

There is in-class support for learners, as well as one-to-one support for those who require it, and 'drop ins' for additional help with assignments and homework.We have mental health support workers, and support workers for those who are deaf and visually impaired.

Student Services provide students with information, advice and guidance for careers, student finance, enrichment activities, a range of welfare and safeguarding issues and a counselling service.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

For students aged 16-18 the Student Support Allowance Bursary and Discretionary Bursary is available to support care leavers with the costs of studying at college. This may be in the form of cash payments, travel passes, free college meals and/or the costs of buying essential equipment required for your course.

Care to Learn assistance is also available for young people who have children and need help with the costs of caring for them whilst they attend their lessons.

All students aged 16-18 on or before before 31.08.19 and resident in Greater Manchester area can apply for an "Our Pass" which gives free bus travel 24/7 7 days a week in the area - check out

For 19+ students, financial support is available to help with the costs of travelling to college and caring for dependent children, if students meet the financial thresholds set out in our Student Financial Support Policy (available on the college website).

Sorry, we don't have information about available courses. Visit their website for more details.