Student Welfare Adviser
The information on this page was last updated on 7 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We have a student welfare adviser (Zahda Yunis 01274 433068 / 07548710737) as your named contact, to support you as a student from a looked-after and/or care leaver background.
You can access a variety of support services, from help with your application to guided tours of the campus, financial support/advice, year-round accommodation, careers advice and a counselling service.
Enrolled students can access information via Moodle (our virtual learning environment) on support for issues ranging from mental health and wellbeing to literacy and revision, both internally and externally.
For further information please visit: www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/student-services/student-support/care-leavers.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Bradford College offers financial advice and support to students who are looked-after children or care leavers. Students aged 16 to 18 can apply for a premium bursary of £1,200, which is paid in instalments over the academic year.
Students aged 19 to 25 can also apply for financial support through the learner support fund. Students applying to higher education courses will be eligible for financial support (details on the website). Support in accessing this is available from the student welfare adviser.
For further information please visit: www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/student-services/student-support/care-leavers