Brunel University

Karen Western

Karen Western

Widening Participation Officer
01895 268452

The information on this page was last updated on 26 June 2020.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Brunel welcomes care leavers from all over the UK. At present (2019/20) we have over 90 undergraduate care leavers studying in a range of subject areas.

I am pleased you are considering higher education. To help you decide which university is right for you, I can offer information and guidance. We offer a range of programmes and events, often in partnership with other universities.

I am able to arrange a visit for you to look around the university and meet care leaver ambassadors if you wish. I welcome students making contact prior to starting university. I am always happy to answer any queries relating to university. As the named contact for care leavers and estranged students, I offer dedicated friendly support for your student journey, from pre-entry to enrolment.

Brunel has a dedicated named support for care leaver students studying at Brunel University.

This includes:

  • accommodation deposit waiver
  • guaranteed year round accommodation, if required, for the duration of your course
  • HeadStart – an induction to the university before freshers' week
  • access to regular support
  • social events year round
  • access to wellbeing services including counselling, dyslexia, disability and learning support
  • academic skills support
  • the opportunity to become a student ambassador (paid part-time work to complement your studies)
  • the opportunity in year one to participate in the paid Brunel summer internship programme
  • the opportunity in year two to participate in the Brunel widening participation professional mentoring scheme, which links students with a business mentor
  • access to the graduation support package including free cap, gown and photography package
  • a named contact in the student centre for general and financial support and advice. Contact Patricia Dore :

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

As a care leaver you may be eligible for a care leaver bursary of £2,000 per year for up to five years, in addition to any other financial entitlement, if you are under 25 and meet the definition of care leaver. No application is required.

Brunel has a wide range of bursaries - please check the website for up-to-date information, and full terms and conditions: and

We also work with the Unite Foundation to offer 365 days of free accommodation to selected students, you can find out more about this at:

3 courses matching Music

Music Part time