Cardiff University

Paula Barker

Student Support Adviser
02920 879371

The information on this page was last updated on 4 September 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Cardiff University gained exemplary level from Buttle UK for the support we offer care leavers and estranged students.

We offer a variety of events and activities for young people in care between the ages of 14 and 19, from a fortnightly mentoring scheme and taster days, to our confident futures Summer school in July.

We try to cover all aspects of university life, from the application process such UCAS or personal statement workshops, to the social opportunities at university once you have enrolled – and much more in between. For further information, please contact Simon Reeds on:, or 02920 874455.

We operate a contextual admissions model to better inform admission tutors' understanding of applicants' potential to succeed, and care leavers are given "additional consideration".

Our dedicated contact, Paula Barker, works in student support and can help you from the application stage all the way through your time with us.

She can offer you advice on finance, accommodation, academic-related matters and anything you're not too sure about. She can also refer you to other services such as dyslexia, disability or mental health support, counselling, study skills and careers and employability.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At Cardiff University we can work with your leaving care team to assist you with your student finance application, to ensure you get the full funding available.

As an independent student you will qualify for the Cardiff University bursary of £1,000 in your first year (the amount for subsequent years is yet to be confirmed).

Cardiff University also offers a care leavers' bursary. This is a total of £3,000 for a typical three-year course. We pay £1,000 at the beginning of your first year, £750 at the beginning of your second and third year, and £500 in the final term of your final year.

If you have disclosed on your UCAS application form that you are a care leaver, you will be sent an application form before you start your course. If you have not disclosed on your UCAS application form, please get in contact directly with our dedicated contact, Paula Barker.