De Montfort University

Melissa Page / Louise Wells

Assistant Manager / Higher Education Guidance Officer
0116 257 7872 / 0116 366 4456

The information on this page was last updated on 22 July 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The university has two team members responsible for care leavers, who are able to provide you with support from pre-entry through to graduation. The team can also assist students with finding 365 day accommodation.
The Centre for Learning and Study Support (CLaSS), based in the library, delivers workshops and one-to-one support throughout the academic year on study skills, different learning styles and much more.
DMU also offers counselling, wellbeing and disability support. If you have a specific learning difference, such as dyslexia, we can assist you in applying for additional study support.
DMU has signed up to the Care Leaver Covenant which demonstrates its commitment to supporting our care experienced students.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice
De Montfort University offers a £1,000 per year bursary to care leaver students. This will be awarded when you have ticked the UCAS box, or made yourself known to the transitions team once you have enrolled. This bursary can also be claimed when the student progresses to postgraduate study.
Additionally, we currently offer a £1,000 graduation bursary, and occasionally have donations from external organisations.