Forth Valley College
Support and Guidance Team
Support and Guidance Advisors
The information on this page was last updated on 9 November 2021.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Forth Valley College wants all Care Experienced students to be successful during their time studying here. We want everyone to gain a place on an appropriate course, learn new skills, gain qualifications and progress into a positive destination whether that be further education, higher education, training or employment.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to indicate they have been in care via their college online application. This information will allow the Student Support team to get in contact to offer support. The support on offer is wide and varied and depends on each individual student and what is right for them. Support can include:
• Pre-application help
• Care Experienced Student Bursary (eligibility criteria apply)
• Dedicated Support and Guidance Advisor – before your course starts, one of our Support and Guidance Advisors will be in touch. They will be your named contact throughout your time at college regardless of whether you access the service regularly or not
• Additional financial advice and support
• Priority processing for funding
• Guaranteed interview if entry requirements met
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
You may be eligible for a variety of financial support, including an Education Maintenance Award (EMA), if you are 16 to 18 years of age. A bursary, hardship fund, and support with travel, housing, childcare and/or materials are all available. SAF (Student Assistance Fund), this fund can support you if you find yourself in unexpected financial difficulties whilst at college, and as a care leaver, you may be eligible for this award.