Get in touch with Gateshead College
This will send an email directly to the named contact for care leaver support.
The information on this page was last updated on 23 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We have a full range of support services at the college including our learning support team, who are experienced in supporting students with identified learning support needs. If you have learning difficulties, disabilities, a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, or mental health issues, we can offer professional support.
We also have an excellent careers service to guide you on your future career path. You will find the staff at the college friendly, approachable and willing to assist you at every stage, both personal and on-course.
Our support funds team provides advice and assistance to any member of the college community. Examples of the types of issues covered include student finance and bursaries.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We can offer a tailored package to you to make sure you receive both the financial and personal support you may need when studying at college.
If you are aged 16-18, you could be entitled to a maximum of £1,200 over the year.
For students 19 and over, we can look at additional support you may require. If you are starting a higher education course, you could qualify for a scholarship.
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020