Glasgow Caledonian University

Rachel Hyslop

School Connect Manager and Named Contact for Care Experienced Students
0141 273 1485

The information on this page was last updated on 22 July 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Our named contact can offer individual support to care-experienced young people, so please get in touch early as we can advise on subject choice, help with your application or interview and invite you in for a visit.
Care-experienced students progressing to Glasgow Caledonian University can access a staff mentor to help ease the transition, providing a friendly face to catch up with and a signpost to other aspects of GCU life.
At GCU, care-experienced students have priority access to our student support services. Some of our tailored support includes:
Contextualised admissions - access to Minimum Entry Requirements
Our Common Good scholarship, which provides successful applicants £1250 a year throughout their degree.
Eligible students can access FREE 365-day accommodation in our halls of residence for up to two years.
We have a partnership with the Unite Foundation, so students can also choose to apply for an accommodation scholarship in a Unite halls of residence that provides free 365-day accommodation for three years.
Our library has laptops available on long-term loan and the team can also offer one-to-one library support.
We will also promote other opportunities such as travel scholarships etc through an e-newsletter.

We also have a named full-time officer in the students' association, and a care-experienced student group, led by our care-experienced student officer, which feeds into the university's steering group. Follow us on Twitter @GCUCares.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

Please get in touch as early as you can and we can arrange for you to visit and talk to staff and students. We will tell you about all the support services, which includes student funding.
Before you start we can help you apply for support you may be eligible for. This includes applying for our Common good scholarship, which provides successful applicants £1250 a year.
We also have two opportunities for FREE 365 day accommodation, either in our own halls of residence for up to 2 years or through the Unite Foundation.
Throughout your degree we will also get in touch to advise about additional opportunities with us or our partners via an e-newsletter. For example we have travel scholarships and more.