Gower College Swansea

Cathy Thomas

Cathy Thomas

Student Support Officer, Designated Lead for ‘Looked After Child’ and ‘Leaving Care’
01792 890772 or 07946 373455

The information on this page was last updated on 29 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Gower College Swansea can offer the following staff to support you as a student: Student support officers (SSO).

Other than your tutor, your SSO will be your first point of contact to discuss any barriers to you completing your course. Your SSO offers confidential one-to-one support for any concerns you may have during your transition to and throughout your higher education course at the college. Your SSO can also help guide you once you have completed your course whether this be into further training, education, volunteering or employment.

Prior to beginning your Higher Education journey, our SSOs can provide tours of the college campus, allowing you to familiarise yourself with the facilities and they can introduce you to key members of staff, which, will hopefully help put you at ease.

Also - Student health advisers, counselling service and careers advisers are available onsite.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

All higher education Gower College Swansea students can apply to the college for a £1,000 bursary per year of their course. Payment is divided into terms with the bulk being paid on completion of each academic year.

Applicants who have discretionary leave to remain or are seeking asylum in the UK are charged home fees.

Sorry, we don't have information about available courses. Visit their website for more details.