Hadlow College

James Cluskey

Student Support-DMS-DSL
01732 850551

The information on this page was last updated on 11 May 2020.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We know that some care leavers may face difficulties in coming to college and succeeding to the best of their ability. You may face financial worries or problems at home. You may need support building confidence or, from time to time, may need emotional support. Should you want it, you will be offered a meeting with the designated member of staff for children in care and care leavers. You do not have to take this up, but it would help us if you could let us know that you don’t need our help; you can always change your mind later on. For more information, contact our designated member of staff.

Some of the types of support on offer include:

  • Meetings with the dedicated member of staff to listen to you and your personal situation.
  • Help in applying for available financial support.
  • Advice with filling out forms.
  • Help with study skills.
  • Help in paying your travel expenses if you need to attend open days etc.
  • Work with your local authority key worker, with your agreement, to provide the best possible service to you.
  • Information on events and workshops and any new initiatives that may be of interest to you.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The college manages a number of funds designed to support specific groups of students. In some cases, students can apply for support from a number of different funds:

  • 16-18 discretionary bursary fund
  • free college meals fund
  • vulnerable young person bursary
  • 19+ discretionary bursary fund
  • 20+ discretionary childcare fund
  • 24+ advanced learning loan bursary
  • under 20 childcare (care to learn – direct funding from the government)
  • 16-18 residential bursary fund
  • H£LP scheme – support with tuition fees. 

These allocations are specific to the particular student age bands, or to the category of support available.Monies cannot be moved between the 16-18 funds and the 19+ funds, however money can be moved between the 19+ and 24+ bursary.No financial support awards are made until students have enrolled at the college. Interim provision is made in some cases where this delay has an impact on engagement. The college can offer students aged 19+ who aren’t eligible for a fee waiver or a 24+ loan funding towards the cost of their course, via the 19+ bursary. This funding is offered on a sliding scale, and is reliant on a household income below £15,000 per annum. Priority is also offered to the following groups:

  • prospective students who are in care or who have recently left care
  • prospective students who are carers
  • single parents.

Sorry, we don't have information about available courses. Visit their website for more details.