Inverness College UHI

Amanda Learmonth

Amanda Learmonth

Transition Coordinator
01463 273803

The information on this page was last updated on 2 March 2021.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We are committed to all our students, and we will do all we can to make your experience here enjoyable and rewarding.

At times young people who are in, or who have left, care may need extra support to get through college life. Inverness College UHI was awarded the Buttle Quality Mark in 2014 in recognition of our commitment to working with those who are in, or have left, a care background.

Our transition coordinator Amanda provides a range of support to students:

  • Transition planning in preparation for future study pathways
  • Introductory visits and tours of the building
  • Help with settling in to college life
  • Support to complete funding applications
  • Bursary management and budget planning
  • Advice and support finding accommodation
  • General advice and guidance
  • Referrals to our other support services within the college
  • Referrals to support services outwith the college

If you want to submit an application to study here, then get in touch and we can assist you in the application process, to make sure you have the best chance of getting a place on a course. Contact Amanda on: 01463 273803 or:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

If you are interested in enrolling on a full-time further education course at Inverness College UHI, you can apply for a bursary or educational maintenance allowance. Most full-time further education students will be entitled to an automatic fee waiver.

Short term full-time courses will normally incur a fee, but you may be eligible for a fee waiver depending on your personal circumstances, e.g. if you are in receipt of certain benefits.

If you are interested in enrolling on a full-time higher education course at Inverness College UHI, Scottish domiciled students and those from other European Union countries outside the UK can apply to SAAS for tuition-free support.
Depending on your circumstances, you may also be entitled to the following support:

  • Student loans: these are partly means-tested against family income.
  • Young students’ bursary: this is available for students aged 25 or below from lower income families. This is dependent on family income and replaces part of the student loan.
  • Independent students' bursary: this is available for independent students, and is dependent on family income.
  • Additional grants are available to students with dependent responsibilities, and for those students who had previously been in care.