The information on this page was last updated on 3 September 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
At Lancaster University we recognise that care leavers and care-experienced students face a unique set of challenges when progressing to university.
I am Cathryn Graham, one of the university’s transitions officers. I act as the care contact for Lancaster University, and am here to answer any questions and support you before and after you arrive at Lancaster University.
Lancaster University offers a care package for care leavers, including:
- 365-day accommodation
- a £2000 Bursary (per academic year)
- a £25 Wilkinson’s voucher and bedding pack
- opportunities to network with other care-experienced students
- 1:1 support and mentoring from a transitions officer
- a range of dedicated support services for finance, careers, mental health and wellbeing
- priority access to employment and work experience.
If you would like to arrange a visit to Lancaster University at any point in your application process, or if you want a chat about whether Lancaster is right for you, please get in touch at: email@example.com.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Lancaster University offers a £2,000 annual bursary. This is available to all students who have been in care for three months or more, including their 16th birthday, and may be available to other caree-xperienced students who have significant experience of care.
Care leavers also have priority use of our opportunity and access fund, which can help you bridge the gap if you are struggling financially.
We also offer other bursaries and grants that you can apply for in addition to the care leavers' bursary.
If you want to discuss funding, or need help, contact our student funding team for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org