Leeds Beckett University

Sam Wainwright

Bursaries and Transitions Coordinator
0113 812 5859

The information on this page was last updated on 3 August 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We fully recognise that coming to university for the first time that you may have a number of questions and concerns you can contact us for support as early as you would like, even before you apply to our university. We can talk to you about life at university and answer any questions you might have. At Leeds Beckett University, we offer a range of support for our students who are care leavers.
Our student wellbeing team offers a free and confidential service aimed at providing you with information, and practical and therapeutic support to help you manage any difficulties you may experience: www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/studenthub/student-wellbeing-team/. The students' union advice service offers free, confidential and independent advice. Our team of advisers are all qualified and experienced in what they do, and can offer you advice on academic problems, health and wellbeing, housing, money and other issues: www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/studenthub/students-union-advice-service/.If you are a care leaver or estranged student and decide to stay in university halls of residence, we will guarantee that you have access to this university accommodation for 365 days a year. Please note that only certain properties that are managed by our university are applicable for 365-day contracts. For further information please contact the Accommodation Office.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At Leeds Beckett University, we offer a bursary for students who are care leavers, or estranged from (have no contact with) their immediate family. This bursary is intended to help new students under the age of 25 who are leaving care, or those who have been living independently since leaving care, to come to university.
The amount payable is £1,000 in first year, £1,500 in second year and £1,000 in third year. See the care leaver's bursary terms and conditions here for more information.
If you have any further questions relating to the care leaver's bursary, or any additional financial support, you can also book an appointment, or contact Sam Wainwright directly by emailing: CLE@leedsbeckett.ac.uk, or telephone 0113 812 5859.
Additional funding can be applied for through the hardship fund at the beginning of September, once you are enrolled on your course (however students are not guaranteed an award). More information regarding the fund can be found online or by emailing the money support team on: moneysupport@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.
Throughout the summer months, you can also apply for the summer assistance fund (you can also find further information about this on the link above.

5 courses matching child