Lews Castle College UHI

Kate Mawby

Student Support Services Manager
01851 770280

The information on this page was last updated on 3 September 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The college has an external counsellor, and you can book an appointment with her direct. She is available in the college two days per week, but can arrange off-site appointments, and is qualified to do telephone counselling as well.

We can also offer online counselling, which some students prefer. There is no charge for these services.

There are three staff in student services, and all students can contact us for help and advice if things get too much – either in college or in life outside.

We are here to help you with all the things that can stop you from being able to concentrate on your studies. If we cannot help, we can make sure you know where you can go to get appropriate support.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We can offer discretionary funding if you are full-time, to help with living costs. Any amounts awarded are usually paid monthly to help with budgeting. It is easy to apply, you can just ask student services for details.

We take applications throughout the year, as long as we still have money left. Most people apply in the first term. Usually the amount we offer is limited to between £200 and £300 per month, and includes holiday times except for the Summer break.

Sometimes we can give a one-off payment if you have a particularly high bill or a sudden unexpected cost. All of these funds are means-tested, so we need to know about any other income you may have and benefits you get. If you are not sure what benefits you may be entitled to, we can help with this too.