Liverpool John Moores University
The information on this page was last updated on 27 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) is committed to supporting the educational progression of looked-after young people and care leavers into higher education.
Through the Buttle UK Quality Mark scheme, we were commended for the “exemplary level of support” available to care leavers and looked-after young people. Our John Lennon Imagine Awards provide support to care leavers through:
- A dedicated member of staff who can provide information, advice and support throughout your time at university. This can include advice on student funding; accommodation; acting as a link with your local authority; support with academic issues; working with you to develop a package of support to suit your needs (including study skills, mentoring and other support services), or simply someone to talk to.
- Access to all-year round accommodation, should you require it.
- Additional financial support through an annual bursary of £1,000.
We recognise that every student is different, and will require different levels of support during your time at university.
Please do contact our dedicated care leaver coordinator to discuss how we can best assist you, by calling Phil on 0151 231 8098, or emailing: email@example.com.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
The John Lennon Imagine Award (JLIA) provides an annual bursary of £1,000 specifically for care leavers. You will need to provide us with confirmation of your care leaver status (a letter from your personal adviser or social worker is ideal), and attend an annual update meeting.
There is no deadline to apply for the JLIA, however we would encourage you to get in touch as soon as possible, to ensure you have access to all the relevant support you might require.
In addition, all care leavers are automatically eligible for the annual LJMU bursary of £500. LJMU offers a range of scholarships – ranging from £1,000 to £10,000 – to candidates who can demonstrate some area of excellence, commitment or expertise.
LJMU scholarships are paid to successful candidates for each year of their programme. Deadlines for scholarships will change yearly, so please refer to the LJMU website for further information.
The university also offers support to students who may find themselves in financial difficulty, through the LJMU student support fund. Normally, a student would need to complete an application form and provide evidence of their financial circumstances.
For further information on any aspect of the funding available to care leavers studying at LJMU, please do contact Phil Bakstad by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 0151 231 3149.
We work with the Unite Foundation to offer 365 days of free accommodation to selected students, the deadline for applications is 1 June 2017 and you can find out more about this at: http://www.unitefoundation.co.uk/