The information on this page was last updated on 2 December 2020.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Loughborough University is ranked in the Top 10 in all national league tables (4th in 2019/20 Guardian, 8th Complete University Guide & 5th Times Good University Guide), with extensive experience in delivering specific outreach to care-experienced young people, including bespoke subject taster days as well as an annual on campus experience day to help inspire and prepare prospective students for transition to university.
These events are part of a programme that provides young people with an insight into life on a huge campus and showcases how Loughborough provides an outstanding experience in every aspect of student life.
In addition to pre-university events, Loughborough also provides care leavers with:
- Generous financial packages for care leavers worth an extra £6,300 per year.
- 52-week accommodation where needed.
- The opportunity to undertake paid work as a student ambassador: inspiring others on outreach events.
Care leavers are provided with a wealth of expert support, from careers advice, additional needs and mental health support, to counselling and support with your student finances. Please contact us to find out more.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Loughborough University provides a generous financial package to support care leavers. For students starting in 2019, this will add up to £6,300 total benefit per year. This is made up of £1,800 of Loughborough scholarship, for which all care leavers are eligible, and a care leaver bursary (tuition fee waiver and cash bursary) of £4,500 per year. The full breakdown can be found on our website at: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/scholarships/
Please note that bursary amounts may change from year to year, so please check the link above for the most up-to-date figures. Students who tick the care leaver box on their UCAS application form will be contacted to make sure you receive the scholarships and bursaries you are eligible for.