Orkney College

Joanne Wallace

Assistant Principal
01856 569252

The information on this page was last updated on 8 April 2021.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Thank you for your interest in studying at Orkney College UHI. We offer a wide range of further and higher education programmes as part of the University of Highlands and Islands for both part-time or full- time study. We would welcome the opportunity to find out how we can support your future plans and discuss the options available to you.

Some contacts you may find useful:

Assistant Principal - Jo Wallace - joanne.wallace@uhi.ac.uk
Curriculum Leader Inclusive Practice- Sean Page sean.page@uhi.ac.uk
Mental Health Counsellor - Mary Gray - mary.gray@uhi.ac.uk

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We offer a higher education discretionary fund, which is intended to provide financial help to students whose access to, or continuance in, higher education may be prevented by financial considerations. It can be used to assist in funding your accommodation, travel, living costs, etc for students who can demonstrate that they are in genuine hardship.
We also offer a higher education childcare fund, for help in meeting the costs of childcare support. The childcare must be registered.Application forms for the above funds are available from Orkney College’s reception, and from our website at: www.uhi.ac.uk/en/studying-at-uhi/first-steps/how-much-will-it-cost/funding/discretionary-and-childcare-funds. For Further Education care leavers are entitled to a the Care-Experienced bursary and additional support.