Oxford Brookes University
Student Services Operation Manager
The information on this page was last updated on 29 June 2020.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Oxford Brookes University offer a wide-ranging support system for students making the transition from care to university. As a care leaver you may be entitled to a lot of additional support including a bursary, academic support, health and wellbeing services, student advice and counselling, as well as financial support. Care leavers are guaranteed accommodation in halls of residence for 52 weeks, as long as certain criteria are met.
As part of our outreach programme, we encourage you to attend our day and residential events, and we prioritise care leavers for places on our summer schools. We have also launched a new online Outreach hub where students can interact with student ambassadors, access new academic content and hone their study skills. If you would like to know more about the activities we run for care leavers, or would like to visit the university, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
When completing your UCAS application form, you will need to indicate that you are a care leaver so that we can support you. If you have lived in local authority care you will be eligible for our contextual offer which is a reduction in grade requirements. Please see our contextual admissions page for more details.
All applicants who disclose will be contacted in the summer months to discuss their support needs and their eligibility for the transition from care bursary.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer a transition from care bursary of up to £2,000 per year to those who are eligible. The criteria includes:
- you must be eligible for support from the Student Loans Company or NHS Business Services Authority
- you have a household income of less that £40,000 per year and you have been in care since the age of 14 – including some point at the age of 16 and 17 (if you left care before 16 years you are not a care leaver)
- you are under the age of 25 when you enrol as a student.
We also offer a Sanctuary Scholarship for individuals seeking asylum and those who have a form of protection from an asylum claim, who are not able to access government student finance. Please visit our Sanctuary Scholarship webpage for more detail.
You are also eligible to apply for funding from the hardship fund at any time during the academic year. Further information can be found here or you can contact the team by email at email@example.com.
The Brookes Union Advice Service can offer you budgeting and debt management advice and can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01865 484770.