Oxford Brookes University
The information on this page was last updated on 11 September 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Welcome to Oxford Brookes. We are delighted that you are thinking about joining us so, with that aim in mind, here are a few more reasons for choosing to study with us.
Oxford Brookes is proud to have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark, which recognised the support we offer to care-leavers/care-experienced applicants and students. We offer a wide-ranging support system for students making the transition from care to university. As a care leaver you may be entitled to a lot of additional support including a bursary, academic support, health and wellbeing services, student advice and counselling, as well as financial support. Care leavers are guaranteed accommodation in halls of residence for 52 weeks, as long as certain criteria are met.
As part of our outreach programme, we encourage you to attend our day and residential events, and we prioritise care leavers for places on our summer schools. If you would like to know more about the activities we run for care leavers, or would like to visit the university, please contact UK Recruitment and Partnerships on 01865 48 4945, or email: email@example.com. They will be very happy to help you.
When completing your UCAS application form, you will need to indicate that you are a care leaver. All applicants who disclose will be contacted in the summer months to discuss their support needs and their eligibility for the transition from care bursary.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer a transition from care bursary of up to £2,000 per year to those who are eligible. The criteria includes:
- you must be eligible for support from the Student Loans Company or NHS Business Services Authority
- you have a household income of less that £40,000 per yearyou have been in care since the age of 14 – including some point at the age of 16 and 17 (if you left care before 16 years you are not a care leaver)
- you are under the age of 25 when you enrol as a student.
You are also eligible to apply for funding from the hardship fund at any time during the academic year. Further information can be found at https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/finance/financial-aid/ or you can contact the team by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brookes Union Advice Service can offer you budgeting and debt management advice and can be contacted by email: email@example.com or telephone 01865 484770.