Sheffield College (The)

Elaine Evans

Head of Safeguarding and EID
0114 2602871

The information on this page was last updated on 14 April 2021.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Welcome to Sheffield College!We work in partnership with Sheffield Hallam University to offer you accommodation options if you are aged 18+ at the start of your course. Sheffield Hallam University also has a long standing commitment to supporting care leavers. For more information visit:, and go to their accommodation page. We can also support you in finding suitable private or shared accommodation whilst studying with us.All our further education students are assigned a Tutorial Mentor who is here to support you with anything relating to your college experience. We also have a SEND team who can help with a variety of support needs, including deadline extensions, extra time in exams, learning support assistants and note taking. For our university-level students, we have a Disabled Students Allowance Coordinator who can help you apply for DSA to ensure you get the support you need whilst studying a university-level course with us.We have a variety of support mechanisms in place to ensure that help is on hand whenever you may need it. If you feel that you need some support with your mental health, there are lots of different places you can turn to, including UniHeads, Kooth, and tutorial mentor one-to-one sessions. If your mental health or emotional well-being requires immediate support, we also have a number of mental health first-aiders based across the college who are trained to offer emergency mental health support.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

If you are a young person in care or a care leaver and you are 18 or under by the start of your course, you may be eligible for a bursary of up to £1,200 from our student support fund. Some of this will go towards funding your kit and essential equipment and the remainder forms a weekly payment. Applications from asylum seekers and those with discretionary leave to remain are welcome – we will always look at each individual case to progress your application and discuss support based on individual circumstances. Students in hardship, regardless of age, are encouraged to make an application to our discretionary award fund. Eligibility for this support is linked to courses that are funded and your household income. For university-level students, we have a bursary for students who are care experienced. You will automatically be contacted about this upon starting your course.

1 courses matching drama

Performing Arts: Drama Hillsborough College Foundation