Sheffield Hallam University
Widening Participation and Outreach Coordinator
0114 225 4777
The information on this page was last updated on 15 November 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
The SHU Progress pre-entry support scheme offers those who are care leavers a named contact to support them through the application cycle. The scheme also provides:
- Exclusive and personal visits to the University to meet current students and staff who can advise.
- Support with travel costs for visiting the university for our events or open days.
- Support with making the best application to SHU including workshops and guidance on preparing for interviews.
- Exclusive updates on key topics relating to applying to or preparing to go to university.
- Special Consideration in the admissions process at interview and offer making stages.
- Referrals to specialist teams within the University
- Practical support throughout the year with key stages of the application process such as UCAS, Student Finance,
- Accommodation, Disabled Student Support and transition etc.
Once a student enrols at the university, you can then access additional on-course support as listed below:
- Support and advice from named advisers to talk to someone about your situation, discuss any issues or concerns and identify support as needed.
- Financial capability and money skills support through one-to-one appointments or in a workshop.
- Regular updates to introduce you to our service, provide you with helpful links and information and to let you know about relevant opportunities, events and support.
- Access to our care leavers' Facebook group.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
If you're leaving care, we guarantee to provide you with a bursary package of £3,500 a year.
The Care Leaver Package guarantees care leavers a bursary of up to £1,500 a year and an additional award from the Student Success Scholarship of £2,000.
To receive the bursary you must:
- be an undergraduate UK or 'home' fee status student on a full-time or sandwich course, paying the full tuition fee either yourself or by a sponsor (such as the NHS for some health courses)
- have spent three or more months in care while at school, from Year 10 onwards
- be 25 or under when you start your course
- be eligible for the relevant maximum level of statutory funding or NHS bursary
Upon signing up to SHU Progress, our pre-entry support programme, we can keep you informed of all funding, accommodation and other support packages that are available for care leavers to access.
We also work with the Unite Foundation to offer 365 days of free accommodation to selected students. There may also be the opportunity for care leavers to access a discretionary financial support package, throughout their time at Sheffield Hallam University.