The information on this page was last updated on 4 September 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
As a full-time student at Teesside University, you can apply to the support fund based in student services if you are experiencing financial hardship. You can apply to this fund at any point during the academic year. Applications are assessed on an individual basis, and thus awards may vary. Any help received from this fund is non-repayable.
Students who are eligible care leavers can also apply for a specific care leavers' bursary of £1,000 a year, this is non-repayable and you can apply before starting your course, or whilst you are here at university. There is no specific deadline, but early application will ensure you get the funding you are entitled to at the right time.
We will write directly to you if you have indicated on your UCAS form that you are a care leaver, or you can approach us directly if you prefer.
We can also offer the care leavers' bursary to eligible care leavers progressing onto postgraduate study.