The Open University
The information on this page was last updated on 6 September 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
The Open University is the leading expert in flexible higher education: we make higher education more accessible because your study can fit around you, your needs and your lifestyle.
You won't need to move away to a campus-based university, or pay extra travel expenses. And because you have the flexibility to carry on working, you can earn while you learn.
At the Open University, we believe it doesn't matter where you start from - it's where you want to be and how committed you are to getting there that matters. You don't need any previous academic qualifications to study with us.
We also offer a range of access modules that have been specially designed to help you find out what it's like to study with the OU, building your confidence and preparing you for further study.
You may even be able to study for free - see www.openuniversity.co.uk/ug-access for more details
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
If you’re on benefits or your income is less than £25,000, we have two ways to help:
• You may be eligible for a free introductory access module to build your confidence and skills before moving on to a full OU course - see www.openuniversity.co.uk/ug-access.
• Once you’ve registered, you may be able to get help with study-related costs such as travel, childcare and internet access.
Sorry, we don't have information about available courses. Visit their website for more details.