The University of Aberdeen

Mr Chris Sojka

Widening Participation Officer
01224 273107

The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University of Aberdeen provides a range of services and support for students with care experience. We have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark in recognition of our commitment to young people in and leaving care.

The university offers one-to-one support for applicants who have care experience. Help and support is available on a range of topics – these include how to apply via UCAS, finding out about qualifications needed, writing personal statements and more.

We also offer access programmes for those applicants who may not have the qualifications necessary to gain entry via the standard routes. The two main access opportunities are contextualised admissions and the summer school for access. You can find more information on both of these courses at: The University guarantees that any care experienced applicant who meets the minimum entry requirements for their chosen degree programme will be made an offer of entry.

All of our students are offered a range of support services designed to help you throughout your studies. This includes the advice and support office, childcare assistance, a counselling service, personal tutors and the students-4-students mentoring scheme. You can find out more information about the university’s range of support services at:

We also have a range of learning support services on offer to help you in your studies. Many of these support mechanisms are provided by the student learning service, which provides a regular programme of workshops, individual assistance, dyslexia study advice sessions and more. You can find more information about this service at:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University of Aberdeen recognises the importance of getting help if and when you have any financial difficulties during the course of your studies. If you are worried about money, or need advice on how to manage your money more wisely, the student support service can help you in a variety of ways.

Discretionary/hardship funds

The university has funds, primarily from the government’s discretionary funds, to help undergraduate and postgraduate students financially – usually through a non-repayable award. Once you have registered, you may be eligible to apply for assistance from this fund: we’ll normally ask you for evidence, such as your award/student loan letter, bank statement, rent etc. Please see the following webpage(s) for more information:

Funding opportunities/scholarships

There are various sources of financial support that might be available to you during your studies. As we recognise that being a student can be costly, we have scholarships for every year of undergraduate study for the length of your degree. There are access awards, for students who might find it difficult to enter higher education without financial support. There are a variety of funding opportunities and scholarships on offer for undergraduate applicants and students. Please see the following webpage(s) for more information:

Financial and budgeting advice

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, then you can arrange to see a student support adviser. These advisers can provide you with information and advice on finance, fees, student loans and budgeting. You can contact them on: 01224 273935 or:

3 courses matching Music

Bachelor of Music Old Aberdeen
Music and Communities Old Aberdeen