The University of Birmingham

Alice McGowan

Alice McGowan

Assitant Outreach Officer
0121 414 7801

The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We welcome applications from students who have been in local authority care and we offer a named contact for pre-entry support and guidance, so if you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.

We encourage you to take a look at the outreach programmes we deliver: We give special consideration to care-experienced students when selecting applicants to take part.

Once you are studying at the university we provide you with an ongoing point of contact, including the offer of an initial guidance session with a designated adviser on your arrival.

We provide a Chamberlain award to cover the costs of your accommodation, if you choose to live in university-owned halls. If you choose to live off-campus, you could still be entitled to a cash bursary. We also make sure you are given priority in your choice of university accommodation, and that you have access to accommodation on a 52-week basis for the duration of your course. Student mentors support all new students in halls of residence with welfare advice and guidance.

We will invite you to join our Access to Birmingham induction day before the start of the main university welcome week, which includes information on student support, finance, how to get involved in the guild of students and careers.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At the University of Birmingham we aim to ensure you get the most out of your Birmingham experience, and provide a range of financial support to help you achieve this.

If you choose to live on campus in university-owned halls of residence, you could be entitled to a Chamberlain Award up to the value of £5,975 (July 2018) as an accommodation fee waiver. If you choose to live elsewhere, you can choose to receive a £3,000 tuition fee waiver or a cash bursary. These awards apply to all years of study. Check our website and make sure you apply before the deadline.

There are many other bursaries available, some as cash bursaries to cover living costs and others are designed to help you undertake internships, work experience or overseas placements. We prioritise care leavers when selecting successful students for all scholarships and bursaries. More information can be found on the university’s website: