The University of Brighton

Wendy Heasmer

Widening Participation Officer
01273 641043

The information on this page was last updated on 28 August 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

As an undergraduate starting your first year of study in 2018-19 you will be able to apply for our care leavers' bursary (see details below).

In addition to the bursaries, if you are having financial difficulties you can apply for help from the student support fund in every year of your course. 

For more information visit If you have any queries about support available, please email

We are able to offer you guaranteed accommodation in halls of residence for your first year. We are also able to offer you a bedding and/or catering pack, whether you move into halls of residence or private accommodation  these packs give you the essential items you'll need to begin your independent living.

You will be allocated a student support and guidance tutor (SSGT) in addition to your academic tutor. Your SSGT will be able to support you to settle in at university, help with things like budgeting, time management and study skills, and direct you to other support available. We would encourage you to sign up to work with us as a student ambassador.

Have a look at our Summer Schools, where you can find out more about the subjects you want to study and get a taste of student life here:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

As an undergraduate starting your first year of study in 2018-19 you will be able to apply for the following: 

  • The University of Brighton bursary  £500 for each year of study, which is paid in two instalments (February and May).
  • Care leavers' bursary, an additional £500 per year of study, paid in two instalments (at the beginning of term, and in May).

This applies to full-time undergraduate students under the age of 25 who have been in local authority care (including under a special guardianship order) for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14.

You must also be normally resident in England, with an annual household income of up to and including £25,000, and have been assessed as eligible to receive full funding from Student Finance England.


1 courses matching Music