The University of Cambridge

Rachel Osborne

Widening Participation Project Coordinator
01223 333 315

The information on this page was last updated on 13 May 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University of Cambridge was awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark in 2010, in recognition of our support for care leavers. The University has recently signed (2019) the Stand Alone Pledge and agreed to the Care Leaver Covenant, which commits the University to putting the appropriate support in place for Estranged Students and Care Leavers.
Cambridge is a collegiate university – made up of various academic faculties and departments, and a number of colleges. This means that, as well as being part of the wider university, you’re also part of a smaller college community.
Each undergraduate student at the university is assigned an academic tutor – a Director of Studies (DoS) – who’s there to oversee academic progress and welfare, and has access to a personal tutor who provides pastoral support and can advise on personal and financial matters.
Cambridge support services are available to all students, including the advice service, the university’s counselling service, and the disability resource centre, which supports students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties, mental health difficulties, long-term health conditions, and students with Asperger syndrome and autism.
The colleges are committed to ensuring that care leavers have accommodation available to them throughout the year (if wanted). We would encourage anyone who is interested in applying to the university to get in touch with us so that we can answer questions and provide support.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

Cambridge is a relatively inexpensive place to study (with plenty of resources and facilities to keep study costs down, and low travel costs within the city), and the university offers an extensive programme of financial support to ensure that students can meet the cost of their education, regardless of background.
This support includes the Cambridge bursary scheme, which offers non-repayable bursaries of up to £3,500 a year to students with household incomes of £42,620 or less per year.
If you’re a care leaver student who’s assessed independently by Student Finance England, you’ll be entitled to the full £3,500, and some care leaver students resident in Cambridge throughout the year will be entitled to a higher level of bursary (up to £5,600 per year).
The Cambridge colleges have additional funding that care leaver students may be eligible for.

1 courses matching Music