The University of Dundee

John Blicharski

Access and Participation Manager/Senior Lecturer
01382 384124

The information on this page was last updated on 5 May 2020.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We provide a range of support for care leaver students. You can get assistance with your application throughout the application process from John Blicharski, email: . Please disclose your care status to us at every opportunity – this will only ever be used to support you. It could lead to you winning a place on our Access Summer School, to help you prepare and qualify for entry to Dundee.

Once you are a student at the University of Dundee, Joan Muszynski (student support adviser) is the university’s support contact for all care-experienced students. Her contact details are: 01382 384932, or

Joan will:

  • provide regular catch-ups, sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at university
  • act as a link between your local authority, you and the university
  • help you access support from services available across the university or externally
  • be YOUR personal support contact.

All care leaver students are offered a peer mentor/buddy trained by student services to help you to settle into university. You can find out about other support here:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We have a range of financial support for undergraduates. If you have a background of being in local authority care, or are leaving care, you may be eligible to apply for our care-experienced students’ bursary.

Financial support may also be available through the university's HEI discretionary fund. The student funding unit can also help you to access, or give information about, funding for childcare. For further information, please contact us by email on:

All care-experienced students studying at the university are offered a personal financial review, which will ensure that you access all the funding to which you are entitled. You can also ask for a personal budgeting session or financial coaching.