The University of East London
The information on this page was last updated on 30 May 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Welcome to the University of East London (UEL). We are proud to offer an inclusive package of support for care leavers. We want to ensure that you are supported throughout your journey at the University of East London.
To support students who have been in care, we are able to offer the following:
- a care leaver bursary worth up to £1,500 for every year of your course;
- priority access to the halls of residence at UEL's Docklands campus for the duration of your studies, including over the summer break;
- specialist care leaver adviser – who can assist you with both university and local authority support;
- access to other university bursaries, e.g. hardship bursary; dedicated drop-in for care leaver students;
- opportunities and events throughout the year (both internally and externally); a named contact in the health and wellbeing team;
- support with any student finance issues;
- pre-entry university application support, subject-specific taster sessions and employability skills sessions;
- involvement in pre-entry opportunities such as the Verbatim Formula Project (overnight residential) and after school clubs.
To find out more information about the support available to care leavers at UEL, please visit our website at: www.uel.ac.uk/care-leavers. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with our care leaver adviser if you have any questions. You can contact him directly on 0208 223 6407, or at email@example.com.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We also have dedicated staff to help guide students, from considering an application to starting your degree. If you would like to contact our information, advice and guidance service about your university choice and course, you can reach us on 0208 223 4354 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants aged 19+ who do not currently meet the entry requirements can access many UEL Undergraduate Degree courses through our short course New Beginnings. To find out more about New Beginnings please visit our website at: www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/new-beginnings. Care leavers aged 18 who have already been accepted onto a UEL Undergraduate Degree course are welcome to undertake New Beginnings before starting their UEL Degree course.