The University of Essex
The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Our outreach team offers a range of activities and events about the benefits of higher education, please check our website for further info.
When applying for accommodation as a first year undergraduate student, you will have the opportunity to select either a 39 week or 50 week contract duration length.
Our student services hub offers advice and guidance on a range of issues including financial matters, impartial money management and debt advice, and specialist funding advisers are available.
At Essex you will have a personal tutor and a peer mentor who you can talk to and ask for advice. You have a named advisor for the time of your studies here.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
You can apply to Buttle UK for funding (maximum £2,000), this is a non-repayable grant.
Please do check out our web information about our care leavers' bursary, you could be eligible for a bursary of up to £1,000.