The University of Huddersfield
Support Co-ordinator (Care Leavers and Vulnerable Adults)
The information on this page was last updated on 27 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
If you are a care leaver thinking about coming to university, our wellbeing team can offer you support and guidance on any welfare concerns you may have.
The service is completely confidential, and aims to be flexible and responsive to your needs.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
If you are a care leaver in undergraduate study, you are eligible to access the £2,000 bursary that the university offers. The university will pay your bursary in instalments, typically £500 in the first year, £750 in the second year and £750 in the final year.
You would receive an additional £1,000 scholarship in your first year on top of the bursary payment. As a care leaver you can also apply for support to get equipment such as books, laptops and computer software to help with your studies.
We work with the Unite Foundation to offer 365 days of free accommodation to selected students. The deadline for applications is 1st June 2017, and you can find out more about this at: http://www.unitefoundation.co.uk/.
Course information from Unistats was last updated in August 2018