The University of Leeds

Lisa Firth

Care Leaver Officer
0113 343 7669

The information on this page was last updated on 29 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We have recently held the Buttle UK Quality Mark. You will receive guaranteed all year round accommodation if you want it. Lisa is your contact for all other types of pastoral support, so please contact me as soon as possible, either prior to arrival or as soon as you start your course at Leeds.

You will be enrolled onto the Plus Programme, where you will meet students from similar backgrounds for social and personal development activities, which will help you to adjust to life at university, and become successful in your studies and in seeking employment.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

Many care leavers will meet the eligibility criteria for our automatic Leeds financial support, and receive the highest level of our means-tested funding worth £2,000, if you are assessed as an independent student. You don't need to submit a separate application to receive this.You will also take priority to receive funding through our means-tested scholarships worth £3,000 per year. These are competitive awards, which are limited in number, and require a separate application to be submitted by the pre-entry deadline date.

3 courses matching child