The University of Leicester

Adrian Gascoigne

University Welfare Officer
0116 223 1185

The information on this page was last updated on 28 August 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University of Leicester offers a generous and comprehensive support package for care leavers, made up of financial assistance and pastoral care catered to each individual need.

The aim of this support is to provide an informal and flexible approach to enable students to achieve their maximum potential, and enjoy the student experience as a whole. It is a support relationship built on trust and independence, from which students can engage on their own terms in a way befitting their individual need and personality.

If you are under 25 you may be eligible to receive a care leaver bursary of £2,000 per annum in each academic year of undergraduate study. This money is in addition to the student finance to which you are entitled.

The bursary is a grant that does not have to be repaid, and you are free to spend the £2,000 as you wish. If you have indicated that you are a care leaver on your UCAS application, you will be contacted a few weeks before you are due to start study to apply.

Alternatively contact the university welfare service on 0116 223 1185, or, for more information or an application form closer to your actual start date.

In addition to this bursary, you may also be entitled to a Summer vacation allowance to help cover accommodation costs over the long holiday period.

Our experienced financial advisers offer:

  • advice about maximising all income available to you, including university scholarships
  • assistance with funding applications (e.g. Student Finance England)
  • help to investigate other funding options.

A named member of staff can be allocated upon request to:

  • assist you with any of the above, including applying for the care leaver bursary
  • discuss any concerns or queries you may have in confidence
  • guide you towards all relevant advice, support and information
  • liaise with other support services on your behalf as appropriate – both within the university and externally (e.g. local authority, social services).

The university has a range of other services available via its student support services, further details of which can be found on their website at: