The University of Liverpool

Maria Bird

Money Adviser
0151 794 5863

The information on this page was last updated on 28 August 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

Coming to university can be an exciting time, but we understand that it can also be stressful. At the University of Liverpool we are committed to supporting care leavers prior to starting your course, and throughout the duration of your studies.

If you decide to come to the University of Liverpool, we can provide a package of support that will hopefully help during your time in Liverpool.

Maria Bird is the University of Liverpool’s dedicated care leaver contact, and she is part of the money advice and guidance team. If you have any questions prior to starting your course, you're welcome to contact Maria for advice. During your studies she can support you with any queries or concerns; she can also act as a link between the university, your local authority, and if required liaise with your academic department or landlord. You can contact Maria by emailing:, or by telephone on 0151 794 5863.

In conjunction with the support offered by the money advice and guidance team, the University of Liverpool’s widening participation team is pleased to hear from care leavers who are interested in the opportunity to come to campus for a bespoke individual visit, where you will get to meet current students (and where possible tutors) from your subject area of interest, and have a tailored campus tour.

In addition, for care leavers based in the Merseyside area, subject-specific mentoring is available from current University of Liverpool undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Please contact Deonne Hill/Ben Toleman for more information: 0151 794 5358/0151 794 7127.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The care leavers’ opportunity bursary will be available to ‘home’ (UK) undergraduate students and to EU undergraduate students classified by the student loans company as ‘home’ for student support purposes, and who have spent a minimum of 13 weeks in local authority care within the 10 years prior to the cycle they are making an application through UCAS, and who are under 28 years of age.

The bursary is not payable during NHS funded years. You will be invited to attend an appointment with a member of money advice and guidance at the start of your course, to complete the application form and discuss any other support needs.

The university can also provide financial support to students through the university hardship fund – this can be for ongoing financial circumstances, or one-off emergencies.

The University of Liverpool offers tuition fee and maintenance support for two undergraduate students who have sought asylum in the UK, so they can succeed in higher education. The scholarships cover the cost of tuition and provide a £3,000 award to support your living costs for each year of study.

These awards are for applicants applying for undergraduate programmes only, excluding programmes in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Health Sciences and Veterinary Science. This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful. A panel of university staff will select the strongest applications.

238 courses matching Music