The University of Manchester

Emma Lewis-Kalubowila

Emma Lewis-Kalubowila

Academic Enrichment Officer
0161 306 1715

The information on this page was last updated on 24 September 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University has a named contact to support care leavers with any needs, from the point of considering an application, through to the completion of your programme of study here.

The Accommodation Office can provide a flexible, up to 52 week accommodation contract in University halls, which can be for the duration of your programme of study.

The University also has student ambassador work opportunities (paid) at various outreach events, and activities designed to enthuse and motivate prospective pre- and post-16 students about higher education, with the option of being a role model for care leavers if you wish.

If you have any questions then please feel free to contact/email us.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

Care leavers can be awarded an undergraduate access scholarship of £1,000 for each year of study, with the university conducting an assessment automatically after registration.

If you experience any financial difficulties as a result of an unexpected event, then the university’s Manchester Living Cost Support Fund prioritises care leavers. 

Undergraduate students seeking asylum could be offered a tuition fee concession, which is administered at the discretion of the university. Also, if individuals with discretionary leave to remain in the UK meet the new eligibility criteria (established on 6.6.2016), which relate to length of residence in the UK, they could be eligible for home fee status.
Details of the eligibility criteria can be found on the