The University of Northampton
The information on this page was last updated on 3 October 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We understand that most new students may feel a bit uneasy or overwhelmed when they first arrive at university, regardless of their background. To support your transition to university, we have put in place a range of services to support the needs of care leavers through every stage of their University Life.
We also offer our Care Leaver graduates further help with careers guidance, cv support, training and funding opportunities to to help you as you go into the world of work.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Care Leaver/Foyer Award
The maximum award available is £1,500. If you are struggling financially, you may also be eligible to apply for the Financial Assistance Fund.
If you are eligible to receive the award, it will usually be paid in two instalments:
- £500 once your application has been received and assessed
- £1,000 in early June 2020
Care Leavers Accommodation Award
For the academic year 2020/21, we are very happy to be offering a number of Care Leavers a place in any of our Halls of Residence, entirely free of charge, when they study an undergraduate course with us. For further information please visit https://www.northampton.ac.uk/student-life/care-leavers-hub/
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020