The University of Portsmouth

Laura Robbie

Senior Student Funding Officer
02392 843044

The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

If you have ever been in care or looked after by a local authority you may be entitled to our additional support package, which includes:

  • £1,700 care leavers’ bursary per year, which does not need to be repaid. This bursary is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
  • A personal finance adviser who will be on hand throughout your time at university to provide support and guidance on your personal funding needs.
  • A guaranteed place in halls of residence for three years, to include Christmas and Easter breaks.
  • Summer accommodation in a hall of residence.

You could also get a free place in halls for 3 years with the Unite Scholarship. There are a limited number of these scholarships, so not everyone who’s eligible will get it. More detail can be found here:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

An annual non income-assessed bursary of £1,700 is offered to eligible home (UK) full-time students, who meet the following criteria:

  • you have spent a significant time (at least 13 weeks) in care, some of which was during your teens and;
  • are currently leaving/transitioning the care system (within the last 12 months) or;
  • are defined as a 'former relevant child pursuing education' under 25 years old.

You should apply for the above bursary via the Student Finance Centre at the University of Portsmouth via the named contact. The Centre will also be able to advise you about the additional financial and practical support available to care leavers starting university.

For further information please contact us.

4 courses matching child

Childhood And Youth Studies University Of Portsmouth Sandwich year
Childhood And Youth Studies With Criminology University Of Portsmouth Sandwich year
Childhood And Youth Studies With Psychology University Of Portsmouth Sandwich year
Early Childhood Studies University Of Portsmouth Sandwich year