The University of Salford

Samantha  Cheffings

Samantha Cheffings

askUS Student Adviser: Care-Experienced Student Support
0161 295 0023 (Option 1, option 3)

The information on this page was last updated on 22 July 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University of Salford is proud that for more than 10 years we have been at the forefront of supporting our care leaver students, working in partnership with local authorities and other organisations to provide great support.We pride ourselves on being a friendly, accessible university. Some of our staff work nationally to make sure that care leavers have all the support they need in place to access and succeed in higher education. If you are deciding which university is right for you, we run many events, often in collaboration with other local universities and local authorities, to ensure you have all the right information to make the right choices, so get in contact and we can tell you what is happening.We can also arrange a visit just for you to have a look around, meet other care leavers at uni and check out the support on offer.Throughout your time with us we will keep in contact with you – you are always welcome to come and see the care leaver support team and speak to them confidentially about anything.We offer flexible accommodation, for 52 weeks a year if needed, specialised counselling and wellbeing services, support for asylum seekers, careers and employability, disability and learning support, support for caring, homelessness – anything really!We also encourage all our care leavers to work as a paid student ambassador at events for other care experienced young people, where you can share your knowledge and experience and help others to follow in your footsteps.Whatever questions you may have, we are here to help, so just ask!

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We also have a dedicated bursary for care leavers. This is £1,000 a year for three years. If you have let us know you are a care leaver/care experienced via UCAS or at registration, you may be eligible for this bursary. The bursary is allocated after you register with us, and you will be contacted to come in to meet the team before you are awarded the bursary.Care leavers may also be eligible for the higher amount of the Inspire Scheme. All registered home/EU students will be awarded £150 per year to spend on learning resources at an online shop, but for students with a household income less than £25k per annum (all care leavers fit this), and their registered student loan address fits a certain postcode, this will automatically be raised to £500 a year.In addition, the university has hardship loans and grants available – again, care leavers and estranged students have priority access to this fund. Help with graduation costs and accommodation deposits are available.For those who arrived in the UK as unaccompanied children and are seeking asylum, we offer Article 26 scholarships and pastoral support. See: For more information about any of these, contact our care leaver advice team, or if you ticked the box on UCAS that you are a care leaver, the information will be sent to you automatically.We work with the Unite Foundation to offer 365 days of free accommodation to care leavers and estranged students. You can find out more about this at: encourage you to tick the box at registration that you are a care leaver, so that you are eligible for the above.