The University of Southampton

Joe Cunningham

Widening Participation Project Leader
02380 591792

The information on this page was last updated on 18 November 2020.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

If you'd like to find out more about studying at the University of Southampton, we can arrange a pre-application visit for you. We also offer transition support and alternative entry criteria through the University’s Access to Southampton scheme. See:

As a care leaver studying at Southampton, year-round halls of residence accommodation is available to you. Please ensure that you identify on your accommodation application that you are a care leaver. We provide a welcome pack when you enrol, containing information and vouchers to help you settle into life at university.

We also like to recognise and celebrate your success when you graduate, and will provide additional financial support to cover the costs of your gown hire, graduation photo and a ticket to the graduation ball.

During your studies, you will have a designated point of contact in our Student Inclusion team, and independent advice and support is also available from the Students' Union Advice Centre.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University of Southampton provides an annual £2,000 care leaver bursary to help you through your time at university. This is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students (first year of postgraduate study only). Further information can be found at:

If you indicated on your UCAS application that you are a care leaver, we will contact you once you have enrolled to advise you how to claim your bursary. If you didn't include this information on your application, or believe you are eligible and don't hear from a member of our Student Inclusion Team by November, then please contact David Munn on: If you are leaving care and are classed as independent by Student Finance England, you could also be entitled to an additional annual bursary of £2,000 during your undergraduate studies. For more information on this please visit:

3 courses matching child

Nursing (Child) Southampton