The University of Sunderland
Head of Widening Access and Participation
0191 515 2216
The information on this page was last updated on 25 January 2022.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Starting university is a new adventure for everyone. We are fully committed to providing the best support to suit your needs - we want to make sure that studying here is as enjoyable and straight forward as possible.
We can offer bespoke support to each of our care experienced students, whenever they need it. This is agreed with you and tailored to your individual needs. We can assist with a wide range of issues including guaranteed accommodation year round, summer storage, help moving in, a coffee catch up meeting or help with any academic issues. Whatever you need, we're here to help. See our webpages or contact us now to find out more. We look forward to hearing from you.
0191 515 2216
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
If you are care-experienced and a UK full-time undergraduate student then you could be eligible for our We Care Bursary, which offers £2,000 cash for each year of your course. We also have a generous range of other scholarships and bursaries, which do not been to be paid back. Visit our scholarships and bursaries webpage to find out more https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/about/your-finances/scholarships-discounts-and-specialised-grants/.