The University of Surrey
The information on this page was last updated on 8 February 2022.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
For any enquiries with regards to applying to the University of Surrey, please contact Rob Thatcher (Senior Widening Participation and Outreach Officer) T: 01483 68 8944 E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please get in touch with Ellie Shephard, Student Success Advisor at the University of Surrey (email@example.com), if you have any questions in relation to current support that The University of Surrey provides for Care Leavers.
Ellie is a member of the Student Success Team which provide one-to-one pastoral support and specialist advice for Care Leavers.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
From 2022 entry the University has implemented a university-wide contextualised admissions scheme: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/schools-colleges/contextual-admissions-policy. This prioritises care experienced students. Students will receive a reduction in entry requirements, equivalent to one A-level grade lower. They will also have:
• A dedicated staff member to reach out to offer holders.
• Access to an E-Mentor (a current undergraduate student).
• Invitations to exclusive events that will support transition to and through university for care experienced students.
Also from 2022 entry, Care leavers will be eligible for our Care Leaver and Estranged Student Bursary: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/care-leaver-and-estranged-student-bursary