The University of Sussex
Retention and Progression Manager, Student Experience
The information on this page was last updated on 4 February 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
If you are a care-experienced student applying to the University of Sussex, we offer a range of support that aims to make your transition to higher education as smooth as possible – as well as offering stability while you are studying with us.
If you tick the 'in care' box on your UCAS application, we will be in touch about this package of support.
We can house you in university-managed accommodation for 52 weeks per year for the duration of your course. You will also receive special consideration by admissions staff on results day, plus access to the following contacts:
Pre-entry, Melinda Lowing, care leavers' co-ordinator on: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 678865.
Post-enrolment, Lynn O'Meara, care leavers' adviser on: email@example.com or 01273 873925.
Careers advice, Vicky Raynard, care leavers' careers adviser on: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 877522.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
The University of Sussex offers financial support for care leavers in the following ways:
A care leavers' award of £3,000 cash for every year of study, plus a £500 study grant paid in your first year.
A £1,000 exit bursary upon completion of your degree.
Care leavers will get priority if applying for the university’s hardship fund.